Recognizing Your Growth

 



Every so often I'll open my notes app and write down thoughts, lists, and ideas of what's running through my head. It gives me more space to think. I take this as a way to clear my head and keep my perfectionist self organized. My notes app is a placeholder for my overthinking mind. My non-stopping thoughts. My notes are where I began writing this blog.

Life has taught me a lot lately. Over these past couple years, I have experienced change, new friendships, difficult situations, and great opportunities. Most importantly, I have experienced growth. In the best way possible. Through the tears and laughter, my life is being filled with gratitude as I encounter new beginnings and overcome the difficulties along the way. The lessons in my life are teaching me how to move on and be a better person. The situations I have encountered, whether good or bad, have individually impacted the way I view current and upcoming challenges. I look deeper for the positive and try to bring the light out of most experiences in my life. Challenges occur, but this isn't stopping me from living to my best potential. With this being said, I want to share a few lessons I jotted down one day while reflecting on what I've been through these last two years. While so much good has occurred, there have also been tough obstacles along the way. 

By no means am I am expert on life, but I do believe that what I've learned holds great value towards future affairs. As a young adult in my twenties, daily life consists of stress, confusion, and loneliness about where I'm going and what's to come. Pressure is put on us young adults to know our next step, yet I've learned that it's quite the opposite. Nobody knows how their life will turn out. Therefore, we must live life to the fullest and take chances. Being young is centered around discovering yourself, exploring the world, trying new things, and taking the opportunities that come your way. It is also about living the way you want to. 

Life, as I've noticed, looks different for everyone. Coming from a small town, I see more engagement announcements each time I check social media. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but the number is higher than I thought it would be at this point of my life. Several of my friends are in long term relationships and hoping for the next step. Instead of feeling jealous of them and what they have, my heart is happy for their happiness. This is how I've first noticed the growth in my personal life. I choose to celebrate others'  joy instead of desiring what they have. Growth is accepting that your life is not the same as anyone else's. Your journey is rare; nobody gets to experience exactly what you have. This in itself is beautiful. Feeling warm and fuzzy for your friends' success and accomplishments makes you feel like you're celebrating a milestone of your own. Which, in a way, you are. Growing personally means their joy is also your joy, and vice versa. 

Accepting the loss of a friendship you thought would last forever and being content with it signifies growth. It offers a new respect for the person they are becoming. You find peace in the change. You can still reach out to the person even though it doesn't feel the same, but you know deep down that they want the best for you just like you want what's best for them. Letting go of grudges and anger will bring you a new perspective on how past friendships have benefitted you. Some people are meant to grow apart, and that is okay. We mature and we gain a deeper love for every person who has touched our lives. Every encounter we make, every friendship, has a purpose. We must see the good rather than reflect on the bad.  

Acknowledging unfriendly friendships also acknowledges growth. Moving yourself past these people to better yourself and further your personal growth comes with challenges. Yet, in the end, you are happier and healthier. You may have people in your life who bring joy, but some take more than they give. Getting through these situations is hard. I've learned the importance of feeding your soul with positive and encouraging people. Negativity takes a toll on your life. Decide what and who is best for you. Remove those who aren't pouring goodness into your heart. You'll thank yourself afterwards. 

"Easier said than done." A phrase we often catch ourselves saying. It's quite true when you think about it. Realizing how certain circumstances are going to make you feel uncomfortable, yet still pursuing them anyways is a sign of growth. Putting yourself in discomfort will most times lead to larger opportunities and blessings. Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone. Choose to put in the effort, even if it makes you a little bit uncomfortable. You may not realize your full potential until you do. 

As I've already briefly mentioned, a very important note to take is recognizing that everyone has a different journey. Timing is not consistent for you, nor for your friends or family. We are all on our own path. This may be difficult to understand, but once you do acknowledge this, your outlook on life changes. You become more welcoming to the unknown. You gain a newfound confidence in who you are and what you want out of life.
It isn't scary once you accept the path you've been walking along. It will lead you to your destination whether it takes a minute, a day, or a year. Therefore, do not compare your life to your neighbor's. Comparison is a trap. Try your best to focus on your growth, your goals, and your dreams. Setting your goals and creating a strategy to achieve them will lead you to greater opportunities. 

Growth opens your eyes. Live a positive life. Take each day in with a heart of gratitude as each one is full of new successes and challenges. You never know who the next person you meet or the where the next encounter you come across will bring you. The way you choose to respond in your life impacts you in more ways than one.

Recognizing your growth is a personal reminder of who you are called to be and how to see the beauty in where it is leading you. While sometimes scary, growth opens up new, beautiful doors to your life. Take a deep breath and reflect on your life. Seek the light and happiness you crave to receive during your days, your weeks, your months, so on and so forth. Focus on your aspirations and dreams. Remove any negativity and replace it with a striving heart of goodness, determination, and positivity.

You will make mistakes along the way, yet strive to learn from them. Teaching yourself a lesson can have a large influence on who you are. Continue learning when you mess up rather than fall back into regret. Holding yourself accountable for your choices and actions is more rewarding than admitting you did nothing wrong. It is okay to be at fault, just learn to recognize where you went wrong and try better next time. Life is too short to hold grudges, feel anger towards someone, or wish you had the life of others. You are the star of your own life. Make your dreams happen and allow yourself to feel like the successful person you wish to be. We are blessed to be given a unique journey. As your heart begins to feel gratitude for what has passed and what is to come, you will know your perspective has changed. You will have changed. You will have grown.

Growth is a milestone. Once you recognize how it has impacted your life, you will begin to notice the blessings and opportunities awaiting you. Each and every one of us was made for goodness. Let's grow together while lifting others up. Life is too precious of a gift for us to accept what does not benefit our journey, our story.    





Comments

Popular Posts